Thursday 30 April 2009

Too good to miss.....

I made a snap decision yesterday. I had £1075 of univested cash in one of my ISA's. I'd had my eye on a couple of US shares (see earlier posts as to why I find them an attractive proposition at the moment).

But I discarded them for the time being, and made another £1000 of an open ended unit trust. The plus points that swung it for me were significant:

1) It's run by Invesco Perputual - one of most reputable UK fund managers
2) The fund is run by Neil Woodford, definitely one of the best fund managers of the last 20 years
3) It provides a monthly (yes monthly!) dividend
4) The yield is in excess of 13%
5) There is a strong possibility of capital gains as the markets recover
6) It has a mixture of shares and bonds - perfect. Some of the shares are overlapping with individual holdings in my portfolio but I am not too concerned about that. The bond element means the dividend payments are tax free - as I have bought in my ISA the tax credit can be claimed back.
7) It only has a minimum top value of £100, with no dealing fees to buy in. I can add light and often.

This is the Invesco Perpetual Monthly Income Plus (Inc) fund. I bought at 71p a unit. I am delighted to have locked into such a strong yield, which will provide extra monthly funds to either top up or for use in other purchases.

I am having a great dividend income week this week - I will post the figures tomorrow. Also, the portfolio value this morning stands at £143,767, up over £2500 on this time last week. I am feeling more optimistic on my portfoolio possibilities than at any time over the last two years.

Now if I can just find a new job all will be well.......

No comments:

Post a Comment